Week of May 24, 2020
Christ Church families, we are continuing our unit on how Jesus was among the people in The Gospel Project’s “Jesus the Messiah” volume. We’ve learned about how he healed people in Capernaum and how he was rejected by people in Nazareth after he announced that he is the Messiah. This week, kids will hear the story of Nicodemus’ secret nighttime visit with Jesus. Like last week, I’ve provided a video and worksheets to watch and work on during the live stream. Three Big Beliefs! devotionals and other activities to do throughout the week are also listed below. May these support your family worship times together.
DURING THE LIVE STREAM,
3 FAMILY DINNER DEVOTIONALS FROM BIG BELIEFS! TO READ THROUGHOUT THE WEEK
- Discuss the lesson together: Who came to visit Jesus? (Nicodemus) What time of day did Nicodemus visit Jesus? (night) What did Jesus say a person must be so he or she can see God’s kingdom? (born again) Did Jesus mean that Nicodemus needed to be a baby again to see God’s kingdom? (no) How do people get life with God? (believe in Jesus) What makes people special? (People are special because God made us in His own image.)
- Make play dough snakes
- Encourage your kids to roll a ball of play dough into a long cylinder to form a snake. Guide them to use the end of a toothpick to draw designs on their snake. Show them how to wrap their play dough snake around a straw (or stick) like the snake on the pole. Review the Bible story of “The Bronze Snake” from Numbers 21:4-9.
- Say Jesus told Nicodemus about God’s great plan. Jesus reminded Nicodemus of the time when God’s people disobeyed God and got sick. The people were healed when they looked at the bronze snake on the pole. Jesus said that He would be raised up like the snake so that everyone who believes in Jesus will be healed from sin and have eternal life. Everyone who believes in Jesus receives God’s gift of eternal life.
SUGGESTED ACTIVITIES FOR CHILD(REN) TO DO
- Orange Line: New City Catechism Questions 36-52 “Spirit, Restoration, Growing in Grace.”
- Everyone: Memorize John 3:16. Use this song to help! (By Seeds Family Worship)